1-310-390-0131 - Outside U.S.
By Fazreen Razeek, Edarabia.com
Famous for its skyscrapers and shopping malls, Dubai is an outstanding place to live and work for those who love the city life. A melting pot of cultures from around the world, Dubai is a great city to explore – especially for teachers. From diverse classrooms to the holidays and special rules you need to observe, here’s a quick guide for those who want to start a teaching job in Dubai.
The Average salary for teachers in Dubai
Teachers are some of the highest paid professionals; expect to earn at least $2,800 to $3,500 depending on your experience and which school you work at. Since the cost of living is quite expensive compared to other emirates, a teacher’s salary covers rent and groceries, and all other expenses.
Other benefits of teachers include competitive packages, health insurance, and airfare to name a few. This is mandatory; therefore, all schools must provide these benefits to teachers.
The best part about working in Dubai is the tax-free salary. Dubai also offers expat teachers access to endless options for recreation.
Requirements for Teaching in the UAE
There are plenty of schools in Dubai with different requirements for teachers.
However, for employment in top Dubai schools (American or British curriculum), you have to fulfill the following requirements:
- Master’s degree in a relevant field
- Teaching certification
- At least three years of experience
For midrange schools, at least a Bachelor’s degree is required. Generally, American schools in Dubai prefer North American native speakers as teachers. Plus points if you have a teaching certification from renowned American or Canadian schools.
Teaching Opportunities in Dubai
With its diverse population, there are many teaching opportunities in Dubai. In subjects like math, science, and English, you can land a job in any of the following:
- Language School: Language schools in Dubai offer endless opportunities for teachers as you can teach everything – from French to German, to Chinese. You will be most likely teaching adults in language institutes.
- Public School: Public schools are now open to all Dubai residents, and not just for Emiratis (locals).
- Private Schools: English is the language of instruction among private schools in Dubai. This is a good start for expat teachers.
Popular Teaching Programs in Dubai
- Intelligent Partners: If you’re interested in working in Dubai and Doha, you can try Intelligent Partners.
- Teaching Nomad: Land ESL jobs in Dubai teaching in private and public schools.
- Footprints: Features placements from all around the UAE (all seven emirates) and Footprints’ competitive benefits package.
- Edvectus: A recruitment platform featuring placement options in Dubai.
About the Author
Fazreen Razeek from Edarabia.com has served the education industry for over 5 years. He collaborates and works alongside education-marketing agencies, event organizers, and educational institutions ranging from nurseries, schools, and universities to develop and execute their marketing strategies. He is extremely passionate about education technology and also writes for various local and international publications. A graduate with High Distinction from the Edith Cowan University, Perth, Australia, Fazreen holds a Bachelor’s Degree with a double major in Marketing & Management.