1-310-390-0131 - Outside U.S.
“No art or learning is to be pursued halfheartedly…and any art worth learning will certainly reward more or less generously the effort made to study it.”
—Murasaki Shikibu (c. 973-1014), Japanese author, The Tale of Genji
Teachers and tutors of English: do you currently work with Japanese English language learners? Are you looking for engaging, fresh EFL conversation activities to guide your English students toward greater fluency?
We are pleased to announce the release of Compelling Conversations – Japan: Essential Speaking Activities and Popular Excerpts for High-Intermediate Japanese English Language Learners. Featuring excerpts from our full-length EFL textbook for Japanese English Language Learners, Essential Speaking Activities streamlines communicative activities from prior Compelling Conversations books, perfect for grab-and-go English lessons and private tutoring.
Redesigned with learners in mind
Organized within 12 thematic chapters, this abridged text highlights six fundamental classroom exercises per chapter to promote authentic conversation. As a result, Japanese ELLs learn to describe their lives, share experiences, and develop critical thinking skills in context. Activities include:
- Sharing Experiences – A set of 15 topical pair conversation questions that introduce each chapter.
- Photographs to Start Conversations – A small group activity centered around visual analysis and discussion.
- Paraphrasing Proverbs – Deepen critical thinking and build paraphrasing skills using sets of proverbs from all over the world.
- Pronunciation Practice – Improve English pronunciation by focusing on common problem areas unique to Japanese learners of English.
- Discussing Quotations – Students form and express opinions by evaluating famous English quotations from a variety of cultural and political figures.
- Search and Share – Students learn to summarize and synthesize information with this topical, research-based internet activity.
Speaking fluent English is becoming increasingly important across Asia, including Japan. Therefore, while I confess myself surprised at the original textbook’s currently limited reach, I remain optimistic. Our book helps Japanese English language learners create authentic, positive experiences in our difficult, strange tongue. Perhaps this abbreviated collection will introduce new readers and inspire more compelling conversations.
Compelling Conversations – Japan: Essential Speaking Activities and Popular Excerpts for High-Intermediate Japanese English Language Learners is available on Amazon. For more readymade lessons geared toward Japanese ELLs, check out the Compelling Conversations – Japan Search and Share collection, also available as a Kindle ebook! As always, sample chapters from the full textbook can be found here.
Compelling Conversations – Japan- Vietnam: Speaking Exercises for Vietnamese Learners of Englishand Quotations for High-Intermediate Japanese English Language Learners (Kindle Edition): $8.99
Search and Share Collection: $2.99
Chimayo Press (www.ChimayoPress.com) is a Los Angeles-based publisher of niche books that create compelling conversations, deepen relationships, and celebrate the human spirit. The original Compelling Conversations ESL series has found audiences across the world in over 50 countries and established a niche for English teachers, online tutors, and conversational clubs.